hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Oozie vs. YARN "application"
Date Fri, 18 May 2012 00:49:47 GMT
Currently YARN doesn't offer anything to manage a DAG of applications.

It's fairly easy to implement a DAGApplicationMaster to manage a set of applications (whether
MR or others).

Arun

PS: Please use mapreduce-dev@ for technical discussions, general@ is used for project discussions/announcements.
Thanks.

On May 17, 2012, at 5:41 PM, Keith Wiley wrote:

> Just to be clear yarn does offer something described as dag management, but perhaps you
mean it doesn't offer a dag *of* applications, only of mr jobs *within* an application. Is
that what you mean?
> Sent from my phone, please excuse my brevity.
> Keith Wiley, kwiley@keithwiley.com, http://keithwiley.com
>

> Arun C Murthy <acm@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
> YARN doesn't yet have a DAGApplicationMaster which can handle a DAG of jobs.
>
> Conceivable Oozie could offload the DAG management once it's available.
>
> OTOH, Oozie provides much more than just DAG management - it provides time & data-availability
based scheduling of workflows.

> hth,
> Arun
>
> On May 17, 2012, at 4:47 PM, Keith Wiley wrote:
>
>> Hadoop 0.23 (MRv2 or YARN) provides the concept of an "application", which is described
as either a classic single MR job *or* a DAG of such jobs...which at a glance appears redundant
with Oozie's primary purpose.

>> How do they differ? Does 0.23 effectively obviate the service that Oozie provides
or is Oozie more powerful than a YARN "application"...or simply more different from an application
than I have conceptualized to the point that they don't necessarily step on one another's
toes?

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.