hadoop-general mailing list archives

From <Milind.Bhandar...@emc.com>
Subject 0.22, 2.0 etc
Date Thu, 10 May 2012 03:52:00 GMT
Folks,

In the release numbering discussions that we had less than 3 months ago, there was a suggestion
about 0.22 release being an active release, and that it should be reserved a major release
number, since it has major changes (especially in HDFS, since a viable HA based on a working
standby namenode, and a working append implementation in production at a major site, like
eBay). However, there were objections to that from the guardians of Apache releases, that
there have not been any commitments from the users on 0.22 to provide security-related patches
for the vulnerabilities in 0.20.+ (in production use, nonetheless.)

Now that I see that Binoy has provided those security fixes, and attached to 0.22 as a target
release, those objections are mute, IMHO.

What are the opinions of the release numbering overlords now ? Is 0.22 a viable major release
now ? I would love to know.

Thanks,

- Milind