hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <tdunn...@maprtech.com>
Subject Re: why hadoop choose maven as its build tool?
Date Thu, 17 May 2012 22:15:31 GMT
If you depend on released artifacts that you havent overridden then maven is deterministic.

If you depend on snapshot artifacts then you get the latest snapshot which could change between
builds.  But you asked for that.

Sent from my iPhone

On May 17, 2012, at 5:23 PM, Jagane Sundar <jagane@sundar.org> wrote:

> Hallelujah.
>
> I thought I was the only one who felt that maven's non-deterministic result was just
plain batty.

> In this mavenized world, is it guaranteed that if I build twice using maven on two different
machines in two different locations, I will get the same exact bits?

> If this guarantee exists, then I apologize for polluting the Internet with this posting.
> If this is not true, then this is not a build system - it is a right royal cr** shoot
system masquerading as a build system.