hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Oozie vs. YARN "application"
Date Thu, 17 May 2012 23:51:20 GMT
YARN doesn't yet have a DAGApplicationMaster which can handle a DAG of jobs.

Conceivable Oozie could offload the DAG management once it's available.

OTOH, Oozie provides much more than just DAG management - it provides time & data-availability
based scheduling of workflows.

hth,
Arun

On May 17, 2012, at 4:47 PM, Keith Wiley wrote:

> Hadoop 0.23 (MRv2 or YARN) provides the concept of an "application", which is described
as either a classic single MR job *or* a DAG of such jobs...which at a glance appears redundant
with Oozie's primary purpose.

> How do they differ?  Does 0.23 effectively obviate the service that Oozie provides or
is Oozie more powerful than a YARN "application"...or simply more different from an application
than I have conceptualized to the point that they don't necessarily step on one another's
toes?

> Keith Wiley     kwiley@keithwiley.com     keithwiley.com    music.keithwiley.com
>
> "The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches
> me to suspect that my own is also."
>                                           --  Mark Twain

Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.