hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Flume Graduation (was Re: June reports in two weeks)
Date Thu, 24 May 2012 21:56:54 GMT

On May 24, 2012, at 10:40 AM, Arvind Prabhakar wrote:

> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 12:19 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>wrote:
>
>> The ONLY issue I see for Flume to graduate is diversity.  No one will
>> convince me that the current makeup constitutes diversity of any kind.
>>
> Here are the committers who have been active in the past three months:
>
> * Brock Noland (Cloudera)
> * Hari Shreedharan  (Cloudera)
> * Jarek Jarcec Cecho (AVG Technologies)
> * Juhani Connolly   (CyberAgent)
> * Mike Percy (Cloudera)
> * Mingjie Lai (Trend Micro)
> * Prasad Mujumdar (Cloudera)
> * Will McQueen (Cloudera)
> * Arvind Prabhakar (Cloudera)
>
> There are four companies represented in this list: AVG Technologies,
> Cloudera, CyberAgent and Trend Micro.

According to that 66% of active committers are from one organization.

My understanding is that the diversity argument is to prevent one organization from causing
the project to stall if they lost interest... see #2 in :
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Minimum+Graduation+Requirements
That, potentially, helps to develop ability to tolerate and resolve conflicts (#5) without
resorting to corporate structures.

OTOH, graduation might actually help Flume get a more diverse community? Flume does seem to
meet all other requirements...

So, the question is: does the project feel that there is no single company which is vital
to the success of the project? If so, Flume seems ready.

Arun

PS: From my own experience: in the early days of Hadoop we were very concerned about not just
#companies but also the percentage of representation and this, perversely, led to discrimination
against folks from the majority contributor who were, actually, very qualified! *smile*
And no, I'm not saying that is the right thing to do! *smile*