hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <andrew.purt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Flume Graduation (was Re: June reports in two weeks)
Date Thu, 24 May 2012 22:59:01 GMT
Mingjie Lai's affiliation should be changed to Apple.

Best regards,

    - Andy (@ Trend Micro)

On May 24, 2012, at 2:56 PM, Arun C Murthy <acm@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> On May 24, 2012, at 10:40 AM, Arvind Prabhakar wrote:
>
>> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 12:19 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>wrote:
>>
>>> The ONLY issue I see for Flume to graduate is diversity.  No one will
>>> convince me that the current makeup constitutes diversity of any kind.
>>>
>> Here are the committers who have been active in the past three months:
>>
>> * Brock Noland (Cloudera)
>> * Hari Shreedharan  (Cloudera)
>> * Jarek Jarcec Cecho (AVG Technologies)
>> * Juhani Connolly   (CyberAgent)
>> * Mike Percy (Cloudera)
>> * Mingjie Lai (Trend Micro)
>> * Prasad Mujumdar (Cloudera)
>> * Will McQueen (Cloudera)
>> * Arvind Prabhakar (Cloudera)
>>
>> There are four companies represented in this list: AVG Technologies,
>> Cloudera, CyberAgent and Trend Micro.
>
> According to that 66% of active committers are from one organization.
>
> My understanding is that the diversity argument is to prevent one organization from causing
the project to stall if they lost interest... see #2 in :
> http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Minimum+Graduation+Requirements
> That, potentially, helps to develop ability to tolerate and resolve conflicts (#5) without
resorting to corporate structures.

> OTOH, graduation might actually help Flume get a more diverse community? Flume does seem
to meet all other requirements...

> So, the question is: does the project feel that there is no single company which is vital
to the success of the project? If so, Flume seems ready.

> Arun
>
> PS: From my own experience: in the early days of Hadoop we were very concerned about
not just #companies but also the percentage of representation and this, perversely, led to
discrimination against folks from the majority contributor who were, actually, very qualified!
*smile*