hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <steve.lough...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Locking protocols for hadoop-2.x.x
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2012 15:33:51 GMT
On 20 April 2012 15:44, Robert Evans <evans@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> The trick with yarn is that there are a lot more client APIs then for HDFS.  In addition
they have not had as much time as the HDFS APIs to mature.  If we want to lock down the client
APIs I am fine with that, because I don't really see any huge problems with the existing APIs,
but I think waiting to lock them down is a good thing, at least until we can get Hamster and
other non-mapreduce applications up and running, and any feedback they may have about the
APIs integrated back into them.

> --Bobby Evans

+1. The alphas need to be out and other things working w/ YARN before
things should be frozen, as that frozen state will have to be carried
forward into the future. At least they might have to be carried
forward, unless there is a big disclaimer "YARN developers -things may
change, get on the mailing list"