hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Daryn Sharp <da...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release hadoop-0.23.2-rc0
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2012 14:28:05 GMT
I believe it's premature to release a non-alpha. branch-2.0 does not contain a full working
implementation of host-based tokens that was introduced in 1.x (yes, it was done out of order...).
 This is a very important feature that prevents tokens from being invalidated when a host's
ip changes.  The token implementation in 2.0 requires daemons to be restarted and/or jobs
resubmitted when the ip of an NN is changed (ex. an upgrade).  Host-based tokens prevents
the need to restart all cluster that access a remote cluster that is upgraded.

I've been actively working on the yarn side and close to completion.  Until that's complete,
I feel we should consider 2.x an alpha so there's not an omission of a major feature.

Daryn

On Apr 19, 2012, at 1:45 PM, Arun C Murthy wrote:

> Yep, makes sense - I'll roll an rc0 for 2.0 after.
>
> However, we should consider whether HDFS protocols are 'ready' for us to commit to them
for the foreseeable future, my sense is that it's a tad early - particularly with auto-failover
not complete.

> Thus, we have a couple of options:
> a) Call the first release here as *2.0.0-alpha* version (lots of ASF projects do this).
> b) Just go with 2.0.0 and deem 2.0.x or 2.1.x as the first stable release and fwd-compatible
release later.

> Given this is a major release (unlike something obscure like hadoop-0.23.0) I'm inclined
to go with a) i.e. hadoop-2.0.0-alpha.

> Thoughts?
>
> Arun
>
> On Apr 19, 2012, at 12:24 AM, Eli Collins wrote:
>
>> Hey Arun,
>>
>> This vote passed a week or so ago, let's make it official?
>>
>> Also, are you still planning to roll a hadoop-2.0.0-rc0 of branch-2
>> this week?  I think we should do that soon, if you're not planning to
>> do this holler and I'd be happy to.  There's only 1 blocker left
>> (http://bit.ly/I55LAd) and it's patch available, I think we should
>> role an rc from branch-2 when it's merged.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Eli
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 4:07 PM, Arun C Murthy <acm@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>>> 0.23.2 is just  a small set of bug-fixes on top of 0.23.1 and doesn't have NN
HA etc.