hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Todd Papaioannou <drluckys...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Merging 0.23-PB to 0.23
Date Sun, 18 Mar 2012 03:10:28 GMT
Isn't it about time that we started calling 0.23 "Hadoop 2.0" instead? While the numbering
system may make sense to everyone here, to the rest of the world it's going to be hella confusing
for 0.23 to come out after Hadoop 1.0 was released. Since 0.23 has MR2 in it I think that
it would make sense to call it 2.0. Also, I think would really help with the brand awareness/perception
of the project in the wider customer audience.

I know there are some other potential releases out there too, so my overall suggestion would
be:

Current 1.X -> Remains 1.x (as new bug fix releases are released)
Current 0.22 -> Gets renamed to 1.5 (if it ever gets tested and released)
Current 0.23 -> Gets renamed to 2.0

Remember, a large part of the reason for renaming 0.20.xx to 1.0 was to make project progress
more understandable to the rest of the world. We should ensure we don't regress with the next
major release.

Thoughts?

ToddP

On Mar 17, 2012, at 2:51 PM, Eli Collins wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 9:36 PM, Arun C Murthy <acm@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>> +1, nice to see this go in to branch-0.23.
>>
>> Given the discussion on the hadoop-0.23.1 voting thread, can I request the fix-version
for this to be 23.3? As I've mentioned there I'm thinking a 23.2 as a small bug-fix release
in a week or so with some critical fixes/enhancements - this won't affect the PB merge at
all.