hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Scott Carey <sc...@richrelevance.com>
Subject Re: [ANN] Plasma MapReduce, PlasmaFS, version 0.4
Date Sat, 24 Mar 2012 02:25:32 GMT
I think your ideas here are useful, and it is sad the community mostly
ignored them.

Extents are powerful and break the HDFS flaw that requires one block ==
one file on a node => contiguous regoins on a node are one block in size.
Functional data structures (a.k.a. immutable or persistent ones) more
easily translate (much less lines of code) to disk-backed structures for
logging state changes.
Features such as append, random write, and truncation are significantly
simpler to implement with the design here.

-Scott