hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Konstantin Shvachko <shv.had...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Naming of Hadoop releases
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2012 19:04:54 GMT
Hadoop naming is definitely confusing. And having Hadoop-1 did not
make it less confusing for users.

> Current 0.22 -> Gets renamed to 1.5 (if it ever gets tested and released)

It was released on November 29, 2011.
eBay is actively using it as of today.

If the goal of renaming branches is to make things less confusing
about Hadoop, then I agree with people saying we should do a
simultaneous rename of the branches. That is
Current 0.22 -> 2
Current 0.23 -> 3

It almost sounds like release .22 does not deserve a whole number,
only a fraction. But having .22 renamed to 1.5 creates a confusion
that it belongs to Hadoop-1 line, which is not exactly the message we
want to send out.
Also I don't know what the number of commits reflects, and whether it
is good or not to have many for a particular release.

If the community decides to rename .22 to 2 I will be glad to work on it.

Thanks,
--Konstantin

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 11:04 AM, Todd Papaioannou
<drluckyspin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 18, 2012, at 10:01 AM, Konstantin Boudnik wrote:
>
>> 9.22 can't be considered as 1.5 because it is the major release from 1.0 (old
>> 0.20.x). Besides, by declaring it as 1.5 we'll be planting future confusion of
>> the same sort that happened around 0.20* line.
>>
>> And last but not least, the same  discussion has happened in the past around
>> 1.0 release time like http://is.gd/x1fVqu
>
> Yes I remember it well, but AFAIC there was no clear decision on 0.22 or 0.23. There
were competing proposals and opinions and basically what happened was that we punted the decision
on anything other than 0.20->1.0 until a later date. But, that later date is now approaching
and we continue to call the current release in question 0.23. Hence my original email.

> Personally, I do not believe 0.22 is sufficiently major to call it 2.0 and push 0.23
to 3.0. But that's just my $0.02. I don't feel strongly enough to worry about what the outcome
is.

> What I _do_ care strongly about is that we get some resolution and stop using 0.23 as
a release name. It's confusing to the market and the customer base, and while we have made
great progress in simplifying things with the 1.0 release moniker, we need to continue to
make progress.

> ToddP
>

>> Cos
>>

>> On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 10:41PM, Todd Papaioannou wrote:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> With the upcoming release of 0.23, isn't it about time that we started calling
0.23 "Hadoop 2.0" instead?

>>> While the numbering system may make sense to everyone here, to the rest of the
world it's going to be hella confusing for 0.23 to come out after Hadoop 1.0 was released.
Since 0.23 has MR2 in it I think that it would make sense to call it 2.0. Also, I think would
really help with the brand awareness/perception of the project in the wider customer audience.

>>> I know there are some other potential releases out there too, so my overall suggestion
would be:

>>> Current 1.X -> Remains 1.x (as new bug fix releases are released)
>>> Current 0.22 -> Gets renamed to 1.5 (if it ever gets tested and released)
>>> Current 0.23 -> Gets renamed to 2.0
>>>
>>> Remember, a large part of the reason for renaming 0.20.xx to 1.0 was to make
project progress more understandable to the rest of the world. We should ensure we don't regress
with the next major release.