hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Evert Lammerts <Evert.Lamme...@sara.nl>
Subject Debugging with kerberos enabled
Date Thu, 08 Mar 2012 09:16:46 GMT
Hi list,

I've spent the whole of yesterday debugging a DN to find and fix a trivial bug (HDFS-3059).
Difficulty is that we have Kerberos enabled and I didn't know how to emulate that environment
locally. So what I did was editing the source, building the jars, deploying them on my NN
and a single DN, starting deamons, and looking at my debug statements.

Obviously not the most optimal way. How do you debug deamons with Kerberos enabled? Do you
add your development machine to the cluster, give it a principal, and configure the network?
Any tips / best practices? I expect we're going to need this more often since we're just bringing
up a fair sized multi-tenant production environment (~70 machines) and I guess this won't
be the only time we'll want to see what exactly happens.

Thanks,
Evert