hadoop-general mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Naming of Hadoop releases
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2012 23:38:21 GMT

On Mar 19, 2012, at 4:18 PM, Doug Cutting wrote:
> We also should decide whether we want to permit ourselves to get in this
> pinch again.  I think it's avoidable if in the future we only make
> releases that are consistent with our other policies.  Backports should
> be easier for intervening releases.  We might reasonably grandfather
> 0.22 as skippable for backports as it's too late to fix that now.


0.22 & security is somewhat of a special case:
# hadoop-0.20.203 (with security) was released in May 2011.
# Folks working on branch-0.22 abandoned security much later in-spite of advise against. Thus,
there has been sufficient opportunity to fix security in branch-0.22 since it's been repeatedly
pointed out. 

Again, as I mentioned previously, please note that none of this is meant to discourage folks
on 0.22 or further releases off the branch. It's just hard to call it hadoop-2 given it's
current state or known roadmap. 

So, let me ask again - is there anyone willing to step up and fix security in branch-0.22?

If not, and I haven't seen evidence to the contrary for a very long time now, IMHO this discussion
is moot.

IAC, at this point everyone is sufficiently entrenched and I don't expect that anyone will
be swayed anymore, so we could just call a vote with the options discussed and decide.


View raw message