hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Naming of Hadoop releases
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2012 21:56:24 GMT
On 03/19/2012 02:47 PM, Arun C Murthy wrote:
> This is against the Apache Hadoop release policy on major releases i.e. only features
deprecated for at least one release can be removed.

In many case the reason this happened was that features were backported
from trunk to 0.20 but not to 0.22.  In other words, its no fault of the
folks who were working on branch 0.22.  So a related policy we might add
to prevent such situations in the future might be that if you backport
something from branch n to n-2 then you ought to also be required to
backport it to branch n-1 and in general to all intervening branches.
Does that seem sensible?

View raw message