hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Todd Papaioannou <drluckys...@gmail.com>
Subject Naming of Hadoop releases
Date Sun, 18 Mar 2012 05:41:51 GMT
All,

With the upcoming release of 0.23, isn't it about time that we started calling 0.23 "Hadoop
2.0" instead?

While the numbering system may make sense to everyone here, to the rest of the world it's
going to be hella confusing for 0.23 to come out after Hadoop 1.0 was released. Since 0.23
has MR2 in it I think that it would make sense to call it 2.0. Also, I think would really
help with the brand awareness/perception of the project in the wider customer audience.

I know there are some other potential releases out there too, so my overall suggestion would
be:

Current 1.X -> Remains 1.x (as new bug fix releases are released)
Current 0.22 -> Gets renamed to 1.5 (if it ever gets tested and released)
Current 0.23 -> Gets renamed to 2.0

Remember, a large part of the reason for renaming 0.20.xx to 1.0 was to make project progress
more understandable to the rest of the world. We should ensure we don't regress with the next
major release.

Thoughts?

ToddP