hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Haruyasu Ueda <hal_u...@jp.fujitsu.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Rename hadoop branches post hadoop-1.x
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2012 01:02:49 GMT
3,5 (non-binding)

Making three official version announces to community that these versions
are maintained in high priority. It leades to human resource is
distributed, which makes the evlution of Hadoop slower.

For a while, branch-0.23 might be unstaible. But, in longer timescale,
the fewer commitment line, the more human resource is concentrated on
major release and sooner or lator all the patches for branch-0.22 would
be merged into branch-0.23(major release), I hope.

Regards,
--HAL

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 12:49:58 -0700
Konstantin Boudnik <cos@apache.org> wrote:

> 1, 2, 5
>
> Items 3, 4 are unreasonable, IMO, and not beneficial to the community at
> large.
>
> Cos
>
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 06:03PM, Arun C Murthy wrote:
> > My sincere apologies. I messed up on option (4) - it should read:
> >
> > > (4) If security is fixed in branch-0.22 within a short time-frame i.e. 2 months
then we get option 1, else we get option 3. Effectively postpone discussion by 2 months, start
a timer now.

> > instead of
> >
> > > (4) If security is fixed in branch-0.22 within a short time-frame i.e. 2 months
then we get option 1, else we get option 2. Effectively postpone discussion by 2 months, start
a timer now.

> > Let me restart the vote.
> >
> > Arun
> >
> > On Mar 19, 2012, at 5:13 PM, Arun C Murthy wrote:
> >
> > > We've discussed several options:
> > >
> > > (1) Rename branch-0.22 to branch-2, rename branch-0.23 to branch-3.
> > > (2) Rename branch-0.23 to branch-3, keep branch-0.22 as-is i.e. leave a hole.
> > > (3) Rename branch-0.23 to branch-2, keep branch-0.22 as-is.
> > > (4) If security is fixed in branch-0.22 within a short time-frame i.e. 2 months
then we get option 1, else we get option 2. Effectively postpone discussion by 2 months, start
a timer now.
> > > (5) Do nothing, keep branch-0.22 and branch-0.23 as-is.
> > >
> > > Let's do a STV [1] to get reach consensus.
> > >
> > > Please vote by listing the options above in order of your preferences.
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > > Arun
> > >
> > > [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_transferable_vote
> > >

> > --
> > Arun C. Murthy
> > Hortonworks Inc.
> > http://hortonworks.com/

Haruyasu Ueda, Research Manager
  Research Center for Cloud Computing
  FUJITSU LABORATORIES LTD.
E-mail: hal_ueda@jp.fujitsu.com
Tel: +81 44 754 2575
Ken-S602, 4-1-1, Kamikodanaka, Nakahara-ku, Kawasaki, 211-8588 Japan