hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release hadoop-0.22.0-rc0
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2011 18:07:34 GMT
Konstantin,

On Dec 3, 2011, at 4:43 PM, Konstantin Shvachko wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 9:39 PM, Arun Murthy <acm@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>> On Dec 2, 2011, at 1:16 AM, Konstantin Shvachko <shv.hadoop@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> 0.23 has "substantial regressions from the stable line" as well, and
>>> is not stable.
>>
>> Do you have a list Konstantin? We'll shoot to fix them for 0.23.1...
>>

> This was not intended to criticize 0.23 release.
> I am merely referring to its alpha status.
> IMO 0.23 is a good and timely release.

No offense taken, we've been very clear about 'production-worthiness' of hadoop-0.23.0 at
this point in time.
For example, here is the warning for end-users on the releases page:
http://hadoop.apache.org/common/releases.html#11+Nov%2C+2011%3A+release+0.23.0+available

OTOH, if you are aware of any 'feature regressions' please bring it to our collective attention
and we'll try to get them fixed for 0.23.1. One feature regression I knew of i.e. disk-fail-in-place
for the NodeManager is already fixed for 0.23.1 (MAPREDUCE-3121). If you have others, please
let me know.

Also, we've agreed, on this list, that hadoop-0.23.1 (sometime in mid-to-late December) should
be marked as 'alpha' quality as we continue to make progress stabilizing branch-0.23.

Given, the 'feature' regressions in MR (security, operability etc. - http://s.apache.org/critical-0.22.0),
I propose we mark hadoop-0.22.0 as 'alpha' quality too with necessary statutory warnings to
end users to alert them to the differences in terms of missing features. Else, we could land
up confusing users - this has come up before on this list: http://s.apache.org/Go9. Seems
reasonable?

On a related note - it would help if you could share your thoughts on the roadmap for releases
off branch-0.22.
Some questions come to mind, these would help the community (and, of course, end-users) evaluate
current & future releases of the branch:
# Do you plan to fix security in branch-0.22?
# Do you plan to _test_ security end-to-end for the whole ecosystem?
# Do you plan to fix some of the critical operability features such as disk-fail-in-place,
MR tasklogs' handling etc.?
# Could you share any details on the performance work/benchmarks you've done for 0.22? How
does it compare to hadoop-0.20.2xx for e.g.? Various folks, at different points, have noticed
performance regressions in branch-0.22 - have you checked?
# Do you have timelines in mind for the above?

thanks,
Arun