hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Naming of hadoop-0.23.0 release?
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2011 22:45:38 GMT
Hey Brian,

 As Owen mentioned, we typically 'promote' a release to be stable after it's deemed to be
stable. As a result, we can't change the bits and hence we don't have alpha/beta tags for
release versions.

Arun

On Nov 1, 2011, at 5:07 AM, Brian Bockelman wrote:

> Hi Arun,
>
> (Changed the subject line, as I seem to recall that we are not supposed to have discussion
in a voting thread)

> Dumb question perhaps, but why call it "0.23.0" instead of "0.23.0-alpha1" if it is distinctly
alpha quality?

> I've seen lots of folks on the support list who are obviously in over their head because
they started with the latest release posted on the webpage, regardless of whether the project
considered it a stable release.  By adding "-alpha1", it's still available to upstream projects
but ought to scare away the inexperienced.

> Thanks,
>
> Brian
>
> On Nov 1, 2011, at 4:47 AM, Arun C Murthy wrote:
>
>> I've created a release candidate for hadoop-0.23.0 that I would like to release.
>>
>> It is available at: http://people.apache.org/~acmurthy/hadoop-0.23.0-rc0/
>>
>> hadoop-0.23 has significant new features: HDFS Federation and NextGen MapReduce being
the highlights.

>> It's also very early in the 0.23 life-cycle and the release is distinctly 'alpha'
quality and is not intended to be stable release right-away. The plan is to deploy this to
smallish (500+ nodes) clusters and to start hardening it. This should also help downstream
projects (Pig, Hive, HBase) start testing against the 0.23 line. Expect to see more bug-fix
releases of the branch-0.23 in the forthcoming weeks (0.23.1 etc.)