hadoop-general mailing list archives

From "Owen O'Malley" <o...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release hadoop-0.23.0-rc0
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2011 21:53:01 GMT
On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 10:57 AM, Alejandro Abdelnur <tucu@cloudera.com>wrote:

> * Regarding version number, any reason we are not using 0.23.0-alpha1

I think it is important to separate the artifact and version number from
the stability assessment (alpha, beta, GA). When we approve a release, it
should generally default to alpha. As confidence grows in the release and
branch, we can vote the stability classification up. The last thing you
want to do is roll a new release to increase a release's stability
classification.

If you haven't read it before, I'd suggest looking at HTTPD's release
guidelines (http://httpd.apache.org/dev/release.html) under "What can I
call this release?"

-- Owen