hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Scott Carey <sc...@richrelevance.com>
Subject Re: No svn revision corresponding to hadoop-0.23.0-src.tar.gz contents?
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2011 04:39:51 GMT
My experience with Maven differs, see below:

On 11/22/11 3:40 PM, "Andrew Bayer" <andrew.bayer@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi Arun -
>
>From my Maven experience, I'd strongly suggest that branch-0.23 should be
>0.23.1-SNAPSHOT

This is standard maven practice ('rename where you came from'), and is
where I differ.
IMO the branch should have a stable version, 0.23.x-SNAPSHOT, why decide
that the next version must be 0.23.1 before the branch is even cut?  Why
does creating a branch change the contents of where you branched _from_
rather than where you branch _to_ ?

> - without question, nothing should be 0.23.0-SNAPSHOT after
>0.23.0 proper has shipped.
Absolutely.

>That's just confusing and wrong. =) branch-0.23
>should probably always point to the next SNAPSHOT on the 0.23.x line -
>i.e., once branch-0.23.1 is cut, branch-0.23 should change to
>0.23.2-SNAPSHOT, etc. The SNAPSHOT version should always be looking
>forward, not looking back.

Granted, I haven't even pushed these ideas on the project I'm a PMC member
of (Avro), but I've never been very comfortable with picking the version
of a release before its branch / tag is even cut.  On a stable branch, you
might know that when you cut 0.23.2, the next version will be called
0.23.3, so renaming to 0.23.3-SNAPSHOT makes sense.  But what if it is
otherwise?
In the case of trunk, the next might be a minor version or major version
change, picking which it is up front is not be ideal.  It also complicates
the release process, having to rename both the release (removing
-SNAPSHOT) and the place you tagged from (upping the version number).  Why
not just change one thing?

svn path  |  maven version
trunk/  |  trunk-SNAPSHOT
branches/0.23.x   |  0.23.x-SNAPSHOT
tags/0.23.0   |   0.23.0

you can always branch from a tag, so there isn't need for a branch for
every tag either.  That is just clutter.

>I've worked around the svn issue for the moment, but definitely for
>0.23.1,
>it'd be best to have the release, including POM versioning etc, match up
>with source control.

Agree.