hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Tom White <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release hadoop-0.23.0-rc0
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2011 17:35:52 GMT
Arun,

Thanks for rolling a release candidate!

Initial observations:

* Checksums and signature are good.
* The license, notice and readme files are hard to find and are
duplicated. I think they need to be at the top-level.
* There is no changes file for MapReduce.
* The source is not included. This is an absolute requirement for all
Apache releases.
* Are the binary artifacts published to the Maven staging repo? That
would be helpful for testing.
* The tag at http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/tags/release-0.23.0-rc0/
looks good.

Cheers,
Tom

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 2:47 AM, Arun C Murthy <acm@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> I've created a release candidate for hadoop-0.23.0 that I would like to release.
>
> It is available at: http://people.apache.org/~acmurthy/hadoop-0.23.0-rc0/
>
> hadoop-0.23 has significant new features: HDFS Federation and NextGen MapReduce being
the highlights.

> It's also very early in the 0.23 life-cycle and the release is distinctly 'alpha' quality
and is not intended to be stable release right-away. The plan is to deploy this to smallish
(500+ nodes) clusters and to start hardening it. This should also help downstream projects
(Pig, Hive, HBase) start testing against the 0.23 line. Expect to see more bug-fix releases
of the branch-0.23 in the forthcoming weeks (0.23.1 etc.)