hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Scott Carey <sc...@richrelevance.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Hadoop 1.0?
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2011 01:37:21 GMT

On 11/16/11 4:13 PM, "Doug Cutting" <cutting@apache.org> wrote:

>> Are our wire formats stable enough in all release lines that we're
>>ready to live by this?
>No.  Long-term we'd like to only break wire-compatibility in major
>releases, and ideally not even then.  So the set of things that have to
>be compatible within minor releases does not currently include wire
>formats, but we hope eventually will.

Currently, it can probably be enforced that patch versions don't change
wire format, and that minor versions don't break API.  Major versions may
break both.

At a later time, it may be possible to enforce that minor version bumps be
wire compatible.  At that time, the version rules going forward can change.

View raw message