hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Scott Carey <sc...@richrelevance.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Hadoop 1.0?
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2011 07:06:35 GMT

On 11/15/11 6:47 PM, "Konstantin Boudnik" <cos@apache.org> wrote:

>And once again - 0.22 seems to be forgotten for an unexplained reason.
>
>I urge to stick to original Arun's proposal and use 0.22 as 2.0
>With the correction I like the following proposal.

If 0.20.20x ends up in the 1.0.x line, then 0.22.x should end up in the
1.1.x line, IMO.

0.22 is not a radical incompatible overhaul from 0.20.20x.  So IMO it
should not change the major version number, but only the minor one.

However, 0.23 IS a major change, and could justify a 2.0.x.

This all assumes the version numbers are going to start meaning something
along the lines of

major.minor.patch

where
- changes to major denote big, incompatible changes,
- changes to minor denote large changes/additions/improvements, but
backwards compatible
- changes to patch denote bugfixes or minor additions/improvements with no
compatibility impact.

-Scott