hadoop-general mailing list archives

From <Milind.Bhandar...@emc.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Hadoop 1.0?
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2011 22:44:40 GMT
Arun,

You beat me to start this discussion :-)

I was at Apachecon recently, and based on the questions and comments from
several attendees for the hadoop sessions, as well as the hadoop meetup
afterwards, it was clear that users are perplexed about our versioning
strategies.

In addition, Doug and Owen also have publicly stated (in #hw2011 and
#apachecon11 respectively) that 0.20.2xx should be considered a 1.0.

There is a perception (no doubt caused by 0.19 and 0.21 *abandonment*)
that releases ending in odd numbers are unstable releases. So, some users
were confused when some speakers urged folks to try out 0.23.

I second your proposal that 0.20.2xx should be called 1.x.

Based on some encouraging results reported on 0.22, I propose that it
should be called 2.0.

Which makes 0.23 as the 3.0.

So, +1!

- milind