hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Luke Lu <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: No svn revision corresponding to hadoop-0.23.0-src.tar.gz contents?
Date Thu, 24 Nov 2011 19:00:10 GMT
The confusion arises from the unfortunate conceptual conflation of
artifact reference and artifact provenance.

Maven version is technically for artifact reference. For released
artifacts, the reference has a 1-1 mapping to particular revision/tag
(provenance) in the repository. SNAPSHOT is very much misunderstood by
many, because it's a pure reference to latest artifacts in a
particular branch and meaningless for provenance purpose. If a
downstream project choose to use SNAPSHOT references, it choose to
give up the provenance property of released artifacts in favor of the
convenience of the reference.

Fortunately, artifact provenance can be comprehensively solved by
HADOOP-7368. I welcome feedback on that particular JIRA.

__Luke