hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Un-deprecate 'old' MR apis in branch-0.23
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2011 22:00:06 GMT

On Nov 22, 2011, at 2:34 AM, Steve Loughran wrote:

> On 22/11/11 02:18, Harsh J wrote:
>> Are gonna be maintaining both APIs forever?
>

> That's a key point. Either there are two apis forever or, some time after the new APIs
are both a proper superset of the old APIs (are we there yet?) and the majority of downstream
project have migrated to the new APIs, then the old ones can be removed.

> And how do you persuade developers to move off the old APIs except through deprecation
warnings?

It isn't clear, yet, if the new apis are a proper superset of the old APIs i.e. only in 0.21
did they come close to completion (added new Cluster apis etc.).

As a result, with very little exposure, it's hard to mark them as 'stable' yet. Hence, my
proposal to keep the old apis as stable and new one as evolving for hadoop-0.23.

Furthermore, my personal preference would be to further tweak the new apis along the lines
of https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-1183 before we declare them stable (that
has real benefits for Pig/Hive etc.), but that is some way away.

Arun