hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Brian Bockelman <bbock...@cse.unl.edu>
Subject Re: Naming of hadoop-0.23.0 release?
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2011 22:58:45 GMT
Thanks for the explanation Arun!

Can this explanation be added to the project page:

http://hadoop.apache.org/bylaws.html

It seems that Hadoop differs a bit from how HTTP does this; would be worth documenting.  For
example, the HTTP page Owen links says this:

"Once the release has reached the highest-available designation (as deemed by the RM), the
release can be moved to the httpd distribution directory on apache.org"

However, it seems that even the alpha and beta quality releases are distributed as widely
as the stable ones.  HTTP also uses the phrases "alpha", "beta", and "general availability"
while Hadoop uses "alpha", "beta", and "stable".

When I go through the project webpage (http://hadoop.apache.org/), I don't see any branding
to indicate the current stability until a couple of clicks in (http://hadoop.apache.org/common/releases.html).
 Even then, it's the second page in and not very distinguished (took me a few minutes to actually
find it when I was looking for it).  A little bit of marketing would go a long way here to
get folks to avoid 0.21, for example.

Thanks!

Brian

On Nov 1, 2011, at 5:45 PM, Arun C Murthy wrote:

> Hey Brian,
>
> As Owen mentioned, we typically 'promote' a release to be stable after it's deemed to
be stable. As a result, we can't change the bits and hence we don't have alpha/beta tags for
release versions.

> Arun
>
> On Nov 1, 2011, at 5:07 AM, Brian Bockelman wrote:
>
>> Hi Arun,
>>
>> (Changed the subject line, as I seem to recall that we are not supposed to have discussion
in a voting thread)

>> Dumb question perhaps, but why call it "0.23.0" instead of "0.23.0-alpha1" if it
is distinctly alpha quality?

>> I've seen lots of folks on the support list who are obviously in over their head
because they started with the latest release posted on the webpage, regardless of whether
the project considered it a stable release.  By adding "-alpha1", it's still available to
upstream projects but ought to scare away the inexperienced.

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Brian
>>
>> On Nov 1, 2011, at 4:47 AM, Arun C Murthy wrote:
>>
>>> I've created a release candidate for hadoop-0.23.0 that I would like to release.
>>>
>>> It is available at: http://people.apache.org/~acmurthy/hadoop-0.23.0-rc0/
>>>
>>> hadoop-0.23 has significant new features: HDFS Federation and NextGen MapReduce
being the highlights.

>>> It's also very early in the 0.23 life-cycle and the release is distinctly 'alpha'
quality and is not intended to be stable release right-away. The plan is to deploy this to
smallish (500+ nodes) clusters and to start hardening it. This should also help downstream
projects (Pig, Hive, HBase) start testing against the 0.23 line. Expect to see more bug-fix
releases of the branch-0.23 in the forthcoming weeks (0.23.1 etc.)