hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Hadoop 1.0?
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2011 22:43:25 GMT

On Nov 16, 2011, at 11:57 AM, Doug Cutting wrote:

> On 11/16/2011 10:15 AM, Scott Carey wrote:
>> - Should hadoop adopt a new clear definition of major.minor.patch number
>> significance?
>
> Would you care to call a vote on one or both of these?

Great points Scott and Doug. I agree about the need for clarity on major/minor/patch significance.

I'll start a vote and update the Roadmap with the results.

Also, along with, we need a clear idea about what it means for a major version bump.

I propose we adopt the convention that a new major version should be a superset of the previous
major version, features-wise.

Does that sound reasonable?

thanks,
Arun