hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release hadoop-1.x.x off branch-0.20-security
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2011 10:22:14 GMT
On 16/11/11 04:22, Arun Murthy wrote:
> Please vote on naming 'future' releases off branch-0.20-security (with
> both security&  append) as hadoop-1.x.x.
> We should also rename branch-0.20-security as branch-1.x.x.
> I propose we use the common 3-part major, minor (compatible, newer
> features) and sub-minor (bug fixes) scheme as suggested by Doug in the
> The vote will run the normal 5 days.
> thanks,
> Arun

I feel this numbering scheme runs the risk of going like Firefox -what
is it this week? And how traumatic will it be from upgrading from last
week's firefox version?

0.20.x is the primary platform people use today
0.20.20x is the latest ASF version of that, though I don't know it's
in-field takeup

* keeping it as 0.20.x would tell people that if they are running
0.20.x, the cost of upgrading would be less

* having a 1.0 and 2.0 release in roughly the same timeframe will
generate more confusion as to the future roadmap.

If 0.23 -> 2.0 (as everyone agrees) then that will send a clear message
to users that
  -this is a major release with major new features
  -it is the way forward

Keeping the 0.20.x numbering for that branch makes it clear that is the
maintenance branch for people who aren't upgrading.

View raw message