hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release hadoop-0.23.0-rc0
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2011 12:59:54 GMT
On 02/11/11 00:11, Mahadev Konar wrote:
> Roman,
>   We are  publishing the 0.23 snapshot artifacts on
>   https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/org/apache/hadoop/
> (Pig folks are using this) in case you want it ASAP.
>
>   As for the release maven artifacts, Ill let the RM handle it.
>
> thanks
> mahadev

the trouble with the maven snapshots are the artifacts aren't tagged to
a particular date and time; you get rolled forward to whatever is the
latest at a time of maven's choosing. As nobody understands when and why
it makes those decisions, there is no guarantee two people will be using
the same version, which makes filing bugreps all but impossible, which
is why nobody rational should be using them downstream. It's safer to
build and release your own versions.

+1 for putting the RC releases into a public maven/ivy repository