hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Brian Bockelman <bbock...@cse.unl.edu>
Subject Naming of hadoop-0.23.0 release?
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2011 12:07:35 GMT
Hi Arun,

(Changed the subject line, as I seem to recall that we are not supposed to have discussion
in a voting thread)

Dumb question perhaps, but why call it "0.23.0" instead of "0.23.0-alpha1" if it is distinctly
alpha quality?

I've seen lots of folks on the support list who are obviously in over their head because they
started with the latest release posted on the webpage, regardless of whether the project considered
it a stable release.  By adding "-alpha1", it's still available to upstream projects but ought
to scare away the inexperienced.

Thanks,

Brian

On Nov 1, 2011, at 4:47 AM, Arun C Murthy wrote:

> I've created a release candidate for hadoop-0.23.0 that I would like to release.
>
> It is available at: http://people.apache.org/~acmurthy/hadoop-0.23.0-rc0/
>
> hadoop-0.23 has significant new features: HDFS Federation and NextGen MapReduce being
the highlights.

> It's also very early in the 0.23 life-cycle and the release is distinctly 'alpha' quality
and is not intended to be stable release right-away. The plan is to deploy this to smallish
(500+ nodes) clusters and to start hardening it. This should also help downstream projects
(Pig, Hive, HBase) start testing against the 0.23 line. Expect to see more bug-fix releases
of the branch-0.23 in the forthcoming weeks (0.23.1 etc.)