hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Brian Bockelman <bbock...@cse.unl.edu>
Subject Re: Java Versions and Hadoop
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2011 00:49:54 GMT
You know, I was looking around for Java EOL information a few weeks ago and found this:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html

I might not be reading closely enough, but that says Java 6 is EOL in 9 months.  In terms
of major releases and getting things stableā€¦ that's just around the corner.

Brian

On Oct 8, 2011, at 1:19 PM, Ted Dunning wrote:

> I hate to sound like the folks who only recently stopped using 1.4, but I am
> afraid that Todd is right on here.
>
> The folks who are desperate for new features are being siphoned off by Scala
> and Clojure which is leaving a core of recalcitrant termagants like me.  I
> think that it is going to take something as major as the EOL of Java 6 to
> get big projects to allow code that requires Java 7.
>
> On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 2:00 AM, Todd Lipcon <todd@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
>> I think requiring Java 7 is years off... I think most people have
>> doubts as to Java 7's stability until it's been adopted by a majority
>> of applications, and the new features aren't compelling enough to jump
>> ship, IMO.
>>
>> -Todd
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 3:33 PM,  <Milind.Bhandarkar@emc.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>> While I have seen the wiki on which java versions to use currently to run
>>> Hadoop, I have not seen any discussion about the roadmap of java version
>>> compatibility with future hadoop versions.
>>>
>>> Recently, Oracle retired the "Operating System Distributor License for
>>> Java" (DLJ) [http://robilad.livejournal.com/90792.html,
>>> http://jdk-distros.java.net/] and Linux vendors have started making
>>> OpenJDK (6/7) as the default java version bundled with their OSs