hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Leonidas Fegaras <fega...@cse.uta.edu>
Subject [ANNOUNCE] MRQL: a new query language and system for Hadoop
Date Thu, 06 Oct 2011 22:18:02 GMT
Dear Hadoop users,

I apologize if this is not the right forum to post this announcement.
If not, please direct me to the right forum.

I would like to announce the release of MRQL 0.5.2.

MRQL (the Map-Reduce Query Language) is an SQL-like query language for
map-reduce computations, implemented on top of Hadoop. It is powerful
enough to express most common data analysis tasks over many forms of
raw data, such as XML and JSON documents, binary files, and line-
oriented text documents with comma-separated values. It is more
powerful than other current languages, such as Hive and Pig Latin,
since it can operate on more complex data and supports more powerful
query constructs, thus eliminating the need for using explicit map-
reduce code.

Due to our limited resources, MRQL has only been tested on a small
cluster (up to 8 nodes) and on Amazon Elastic MapReduce. Please let me
know if you'd like to volunteer some of your time to test it on a
larger scale.

You can find more information at the project web page:

http://lambda.uta.edu/mrql/

Thank you,
Leonidas Fegaras
Univ. of Texas at Arlington