hadoop-general mailing list archives

From <Milind.Bhandar...@emc.com>
Subject Java Versions and Hadoop
Date Fri, 07 Oct 2011 22:33:33 GMT
Hi Folks,

While I have seen the wiki on which java versions to use currently to run
Hadoop, I have not seen any discussion about the roadmap of java version
compatibility with future hadoop versions.

Recently, Oracle retired the "Operating System Distributor License for
Java" (DLJ) [http://robilad.livejournal.com/90792.html,
http://jdk-distros.java.net/] and Linux vendors have started making
OpenJDK (6/7) as the default java version bundled with their OSs
[http://www.java7developer.com/blog/?p=361]. Also, all future Java SE
updates will be delivered through OpenJDK updates project.

I see that OpenJDK6 (6b20pre) cannot be used to compile hadoop trunk. Has
anyone tried OpenJDK7 ?

Additionally, I have a few small projects in mind which can really make
use of the new (esp I/O) features of Java 7.

What, if any, timeline do hadoop developers have in mind to make Java 7 as
required (and tested with OpenJDK 7) ?

Thanks,

- milind

---
Milind Bhandarkar
Greenplum Labs, EMC
(Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in this email are those of the author, and
do not necessarily represent the views of any organization, past or
present, the author might be affiliated with.)