hadoop-general mailing list archives

From <Milind.Bhandar...@emc.com>
Subject Re: Which proposed distro of Hadoop, 0.20.206 or 0.22, will be better for HBase?
Date Thu, 06 Oct 2011 16:49:52 GMT
Steve,

>contains a lot of assumptions about system stability and HDD persistence
>that aren't valid any more. With the ability to plug in new placers you
>could do tricks like ensure 1 replica lives in a persistent blockstore
>(and rely on it always being there), and add other replicas in transient
>storage if the data is about to be needed in jobs.

Can you please shed more light on the statement "... as it
contains a lot of assumptions about system stability and HDD persistence
that aren't valid any more..." ?

I know that you were doing some analysis of disk failure modes sometime
ago. Is this the result of that research ? I am very interested.

Thanks,

- milind

---
Milind Bhandarkar
Greenplum Labs, EMC
(Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in this email are those of the author, and
do not necessarily represent the views of any organization, past or
present, the author might be affiliated with.)