hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Update on hadoop-0.23
Date Tue, 18 Oct 2011 09:36:06 GMT
On 17/10/11 18:17, Arun C Murthy wrote:
> Folks,
>
>   Quick note - the dev community continues to scramble to get things wrapped up on hadoop-0.23.
>
>   We are down to ~30 blockers and I hope to see them resolved over the next two weeks!
>
>   Also, I feel Alejandro and Tom can finish up the remaining mavenization bits by then
too - as I see it, it's very close... thanks guys!

>   Once done, I plan to call a vote on a hadoop-0.23.0 which we can start deploying (and
further stabilizing) right-away.

>   My hope is that hadoop-0.23.0 is a strong alpha which we can then beat into shape after,
the idea is to ship soon so we get folks to play with it and help downstream projects to integrate
for e.g. Pig already works, and I know Todd is working on getting HBase to play well too.

This is good, but I can see enough changes that we will need broad
testing to confident there is no regression.

-I propose that a "pre-alpha" is done ASAP, to test the release process
and let people playing with YARN, the MR engine and writing tools to
have something more stable than SNAPSHOT- to play with, then maybe a
fast 2-4 cycle of alpha releases for a bit.

-I can add the JIRA release numbers if you give me a list.

-Where do you think the troublespots for deployment and regressions will be?

   -Anything that uses MiniMRCluster is going to go, and the migration
strategy needs to be on the wiki (I can help there once I know what to do)
   -HBase, Hama, bigtop, MRUnit should all be pulled into the release
process as part of the regression tests
   -It'd be good for people doing in-cluster tests to document cluster
size, network config etc so we can identify what works & what doesn't
though as that relies on people discussing their cluster details may be
a bit patch.
   -HDFS migration; there really needs to be a way to test FS upgrades
from various Hadoop versions, including Cloudera's -upgrades with
entries in the edit log to replay