hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Java Versions and Hadoop
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2011 11:20:17 GMT
On 10/10/11 22:32, Milind.Bhandarkar@emc.com wrote:

>> I believe you mean when will it be compatible with Java 7, not require it
>> (based on all you mention above, other than the word 'required').  Is that
>> the case?
>
> I meant, "when will I be able to use some of the JDK 7 APIs in Hadoop code
> ?", which means JDK7 is required for Hadoop.

There are enough language changes in Java7 to make considering this
worthwhile; the Java5->Java6 changes were so minor (@Override on
interface) that it wasn't that compelling.

I would suggest moving up projects on the side first, layers on top,
like your MPI-on-YARN stuff, where there is little or no installed base
to worry about