hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Brian Bockelman <bbock...@cse.unl.edu>
Subject Re: abandoning 22 - was: Content request for 0.20.205 Sustaining Release
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2011 12:20:27 GMT

On Sep 6, 2011, at 2:08 PM, <Milind.Bhandarkar@emc.com> wrote:

> I am very interested in hearing what the community thinks about this
> issue. I believe what happens here has long-term consequences.
>
> AKAIK, the bylaws do not mention anything about "abandoning release". If
> past is any indication, even if releases 0.19.*, and 0.21.* were not
> adopted by large hadoop installations, these releases were cut, voted on,
> and approved. Not "abandoned".
>
> I am -1 (non-binding) on abandoning 0.22.

I would note that folks will use the latest release if it has features they want.  I know
of about 8PB of HDFS deployments that used 0.19.  Bugs were found, bugs were squashed, patches
were committed.

It would be nice to not waste the 0.22 effort, even if we call it a "development release"
in the end.

Brian