hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Rejuvenate Hadoop 0.22 effort
Date Mon, 26 Sep 2011 05:25:37 GMT
On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 6:02 PM, Konstantin Shvachko
<shv.hadoop@gmail.com> wrote:
> Good news Roman!
>
> About connecting with other projects.
> HBase is compiling with 0.22.

That is trunk of HBase right? IOW, we don't really have a released version
that is compatible with .22?

> For Pig there is
> For Hive created
>
> The direction with Hive and Pig is to create shim layers for different versions.

IOW, a single build of Hive and Pig being able to communicate
with different versions of Hadoop?

This is fine, but sound more time consuming than what HBase is
doing (providing profiles to build against different versions of Hadoop).

Regardless of how time consuming either approach is, I guess my
fundamental question would be -- do we have any kind of commitment
from the downstream guys to have a release compatible with .22?

I guess I'm just wondering how these timelines of downstream
components will affect usability of any Hadoop release (be it .22 or .23).
Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,
Roman.