hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Add Append-HBase support in upcoming 20.205
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2011 22:36:25 GMT

On Aug 31, 2011, at 11:41 AM, sanjay Radia wrote:

> I propose that the 20-append patches (details below)  be included in 20.205 which will
become the first official Apache
> release of Hadoop that supports Append and HBase.
>

> Background:
> There hasn't been a official Apache release that supports HBase.
> The HBase community have instead been using the 20-append branch; the patches were contributed
by the HBase community including Facebook. The Cloudera distribution has also included these
patches.
> Andrew Purtell has ported these patches to 20-security branch.

+1

I think it's high time (I thought so too last Dec too: http://s.apache.org/jr) we had an official
Hadoop release which supports HBase. Thanks for all the effort Andrew - it will be really
nice to have an Apache 0.20 with security+append!

Arun

> Risk Level:
> These patches have been used and tested on large HBase clusters by FB , by those who
use 20-append branch directly (various users including a 500 node HBase cluster at Yahoo)
and by those that use the Cloudera distribution. We have reviewed the patches and have conducted
further tests; testing and validation continues.