hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: abandoning 22 - was: Content request for 0.20.205 Sustaining Release
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2011 16:15:57 GMT
Konstantin,

On Sep 7, 2011, at 2:04 AM, Konstantin Shvachko wrote:

>  I think continuing with 0.20
> a-three-years-old-technology is not the best place to invest
> resources. In the past you advocated for 0.21 and 0.22, both now
> abandoned by your team(s) in favor of enhancing 0.20. It will be sad
> to see this backward/forward porting going on forever, diverging the
> Apache Hadoop project from natural evolutionary process.

Using real data helps - from Apache Jira, here are the statistics for work on trunk/hadoop-0.23
in Q3 of 2011 (i.e. last 2 months alone):

Hadoop Common - 224 resolved* jiras
Hadoop HDFS - 153 resolved* jiras
Hadoop MapReduce - 161* resolved jiras

Total of 538 jiras resolved. I'm sure LOC is much more impressive, but be that as it may.

OTOH, I've haven't run reports (can't figure), but a cursory glance of CHANGES.txt shows hadoop-0.20.2xx
has < 50, while 0.22 has ~10.

So, I'd say it's pretty clear that there is significant interest, involvement & investment
from the wider community. That makes me believe that Apache Hadoop is moving along the right
path i.e. forward.

thanks,
Arun

* I'm aware that 80% of stats are only 80% right *smile* - these are 'resolved' jiras. It's
fair to assume vast majority of the jiras were actually 'fixed'.