hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: abandoning 22 - was: Content request for 0.20.205 Sustaining Release
Date Mon, 12 Sep 2011 10:52:07 GMT
On 12/09/11 05:52, Nigel Daley wrote:
>> Nigel,
>>
>> your comment can be understood as a request to commit important fixes
>> to the 0.22 branch. I agree with that. But if you choose to abandon
>> the RM role I will volunteer to take it over.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --Konstantin
>
> [catching up on the week's email]
>
> Konstantin, you are free to carry on this 0.22 work and call a release vote if you wish.
>
> To me it is becoming clearer every week that 0.22 continues to regress in significant
ways from 0.20.20x releases which will cause further confusion in our user base.  Thus I will
no longer manage a release from the 0.22 branch.  When 0.20.200 was proposed, I thought this
would be the only such release and regressions to 0.22 would be manageable.  This is no longer
the case now that there have been many 0.20.20x releases with significant changes and committers
have not been merging these changes to intervening branches as was once common practice.

> At the current time, I believe the most value that we (the developer community) have
derived from 0.22 was finding/fixing issues throughout the spring timeframe that also existed
on trunk.  Many thanks to those that ran early versions of 0.22, filled issues and provided
fixes.  Trunk, and thus 0.23, are better for it.

Well, if that's the case I'm going to start pushing some existing and
new stuff into 0.20.x