hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eric Baldeschwieler <eri...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: abandoning 22 - was: Content request for 0.20.205 Sustaining Release
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2011 15:34:06 GMT
Hi Konstantine,

I've never advocated 21 or 22 since I've never been able to volunteer
help to work on them.

I think it's great if you want to run another branch, do testing etc.
But given that it's neither complete, stable nor the latest majority
supported project I think the expectation should be that the RM /
community behind 22 should take responsibility for backporting
whatever patches they care about from trunk or 23.

(just like 0.20.20*)

Also just like 20 the age is irrelevant, what maters is what folks are
volunteering to work on. I support you volunteering to do whatever
interests you. I'm marshaling help for 20 & 23 because these seem like
the best ways to address the needs of the widest community IMO.

E14 - typing on glass

On Sep 7, 2011, at 2:04 AM, Konstantin Shvachko <shv.hadoop@gmail.com> wrote:

> Eric,
> It would take the same amount of resources to fix 0.22 as to merge
> append and security branches aka 0.20.205.
> Although I understand that Hortonworks needs to support its
> customer(s) and is eager to bridge the gap in functionality with its
> competitor(s), I think continuing with 0.20
> a-three-years-old-technology is not the best place to invest
> resources. In the past you advocated for 0.21 and 0.22, both now
> abandoned by your team(s) in favor of enhancing 0.20. It will be sad
> to see this backward/forward porting going on forever, diverging the
> Apache Hadoop project from natural evolutionary process.
> I think 0.22 has all the functionality required to run Hadoop for most
> production tasks. I see enough momentum and involvement in the
> community with 0.22 testing. I think there will be enough resources to
> get it stabilized in near future.
> Nigel,
> your comment can be understood as a request to commit important fixes
> to the 0.22 branch. I agree with that. But if you choose to abandon
> the RM role I will volunteer to take it over.
> Thanks,
> --Konstantin
> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 4:06 AM, Eric Baldeschwieler
> <eric14@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>> What do others think?
>> IMO 22 is not the best place to invest resources. I support nigel's suggestion of
abandoning it, but people are free to work on what they are passionate about.
>> E14
>> On Sep 3, 2011, at 11:11 AM, Nigel Daley wrote:
>>> Matt, Others,
>>> Is the expectation that these fixes go into other release branches too (including
0.22, 0.23) if applicable?
>>> If not, my concern is that 0.22 is regressing further from the popular Apache
release and I'm inclined to abandon 0.22. Thoughts?
>>> Cheers,
>>> Nige

View raw message