hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Nigel Daley <nda...@mac.com>
Subject Re: abandoning 22 - was: Content request for 0.20.205 Sustaining Release
Date Mon, 12 Sep 2011 04:52:22 GMT
> Nigel,
>
> your comment can be understood as a request to commit important fixes
> to the 0.22 branch. I agree with that. But if you choose to abandon
> the RM role I will volunteer to take it over.
>
> Thanks,
> --Konstantin

[catching up on the week's email]

Konstantin, you are free to carry on this 0.22 work and call a release vote if you wish.

To me it is becoming clearer every week that 0.22 continues to regress in significant ways
from 0.20.20x releases which will cause further confusion in our user base.  Thus I will no
longer manage a release from the 0.22 branch.  When 0.20.200 was proposed, I thought this
would be the only such release and regressions to 0.22 would be manageable.  This is no longer
the case now that there have been many 0.20.20x releases with significant changes and committers
have not been merging these changes to intervening branches as was once common practice.

At the current time, I believe the most value that we (the developer community) have derived
from 0.22 was finding/fixing issues throughout the spring timeframe that also existed on trunk.
 Many thanks to those that ran early versions of 0.22, filled issues and provided fixes.
Trunk, and thus 0.23, are better for it.

Cheers,
Nige

On Sep 7, 2011, at 2:04 AM, Konstantin Shvachko wrote:

> Eric,
>
> It would take the same amount of resources to fix 0.22 as to merge
> append and security branches aka 0.20.205.
> Although I understand that Hortonworks needs to support its
> customer(s) and is eager to bridge the gap in functionality with its
> competitor(s), I think continuing with 0.20
> a-three-years-old-technology is not the best place to invest
> resources. In the past you advocated for 0.21 and 0.22, both now
> abandoned by your team(s) in favor of enhancing 0.20. It will be sad
> to see this backward/forward porting going on forever, diverging the
> Apache Hadoop project from natural evolutionary process.
>
> I think 0.22 has all the functionality required to run Hadoop for most
> production tasks. I see enough momentum and involvement in the
> community with 0.22 testing. I think there will be enough resources to
> get it stabilized in near future.
>
> Nigel,
>
> your comment can be understood as a request to commit important fixes
> to the 0.22 branch. I agree with that. But if you choose to abandon
> the RM role I will volunteer to take it over.
>
> Thanks,
> --Konstantin
>
> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 4:06 AM, Eric Baldeschwieler
> <eric14@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>>
>> What do others think?
>>
>> IMO 22 is not the best place to invest resources. I support nigel's suggestion of
abandoning it, but people are free to work on what they are passionate about.

>> E14
>>
>> On Sep 3, 2011, at 11:11 AM, Nigel Daley wrote:
>>
>>> Matt, Others,
>>>
>>> Is the expectation that these fixes go into other release branches too (including
0.22, 0.23) if applicable?

>>> If not, my concern is that 0.22 is regressing further from the popular Apache
release and I'm inclined to abandon 0.22. Thoughts?