hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eric Baldeschwieler <eri...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Community Process for 0.20.205 Sustaining Release
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2011 06:37:56 GMT
Hi Milind,

I'd expect to see continued sustaining on the 20 branch until 23 is stable.  Continued bug
fixing beyond that if there is need / enthusiasm for such fixes would also seem reasonable.
This has certainly been the expect behavior of other released software I've contributed to.

If we want to see apache hadoop widely adopted, it is critical that folks not only volunteer
new features, but that someone continue to refine working releases.  I see nothing but upside
to this.  If others want to only volunteer new code for trunk or want to work on other releases,
that's ok by me.

I don't believe this is a zero sum game.  Any investment I put into 0.20 doesn't block you
from putting work into 22 or 23.  We're aligned in the goal of getting 23 and future trunk
based releases out.  Asking someone not to do sustaining will not cause them to work faster
on other releases, it will just move work out of apache. I don't see how that benefits the
community.  If the sustaining work is badly done or does not add value, it can be voted down.

Thanks,

E14