hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Derby with Hadoop --Why?
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2011 12:22:41 GMT

Derby?

First a little history...
Derby started out long ago as Cloudscape. Cloudscape was bought by Informix. Informix was
bought by IBM. IBM didn't understand Cloudscape and decided to open source the project under
APL. Hence Derby was born.

Derby is an excellent lightweight 100% java database. So when you have a Java framework, using
Derby makes a lot of sense. Derby is used to persist some environment information and I believe
its used in part of some of the unit testing.

Where Derby has been replaced by MySQL is when someone wanted a multi-user database and they
were more comfortable with MySQL than they were with Derby. (Hint: Derby can be started as
an embedded single user database, or as a multi-user database by changing its invocation at
startup. ;-)

So I would guess the initial reason to go with Derby was that its released under APL and there
were no licensing issues. ;-)