hadoop-general mailing list archives

From "Rottinghuis, Joep" <jrottingh...@ebay.com>
Subject RE: getting started building Mavenized hadoop common
Date Thu, 04 Aug 2011 13:58:57 GMT
Have been resisting the temptation to jump in on this, but cannot help myself now.

Downloading the source from Maven if source cannot be generated sounds like a better approach
to me than comitting the source itself and trying to generate on top of that.
One can even commit a tarball with the sources and expand when the proper setup is not present.

It seems we'd like the following:
1) Developers with full setup can generate source from scratch
2) Developers with partial setup can still see source in their IDE.
3) Keep it easy to prevent generated source from getting checked in.

If we do end up committing source, then at least keep it in a separate directory clearly marked
as such ("something-generated").
That will not only help the human from even trying to modify the source, but also make cleanup
a simpler and cleaner operation.
Mixing typed and generated source into one directory tree (even with .svnignore and .gitignore)
is not a good idea in my experience.

If we produce generated java source files without actually generating them (whether directly
committed or pulled from elsewhere) would we still compile those sources and use them?
In other words, what happens if developers do end up making code changes to the generated
files? Will those changes get used, or get ignored?

In this respect it would be better to have a jar with sources and let the developer browse
through source code that way.

Cheers,

Joep