hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eric Baldeschwieler <eri...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Community Process for 0.20.205 Sustaining Release
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2011 16:32:26 GMT
Hi Milind,

I'm really happy to see 0.23 moving along.  This seems like pretty clear evidence that 0.20.xxx
is not going to be a new trunk.  However, the time between cutting a new release and being
able to run production applications on it can be very long.  0.23 and any alternative such
as 0.22 will take a long time to get to the level of quality and stability that is in 0.20.xxx
today.  Trunk is looking very healthy to me.  Having a good sustaining program on 0.20.xxx
is intended to compliment mainline dev, not replace it.  Describing fixing flush/sync as innovation
seems like a stretch.  The patch sets we are considering merging have been in use for more
than a year.

There is a large constituency that would like to see HBASE work well now.  I'm hoping to see
that happen on 0.20.xxx.  I think this is the best place to invest effort.  You are welcome
to work with the community members investing in 0.20.xxx or on an alternative.  There is room
in the community for both efforts IMO.

Thanks,

E14

On Aug 24, 2011, at 12:05 AM, <Milind.Bhandarkar@emc.com> wrote:

>> At the same time, we certainly do not wish 0.20-security to be viewed as a "trunk";
it is important
> that all patches go in trunk first, and only patches of manageable risk and high value
to production users, should go into
> the sustaining releases.
>
> Matt,
>
> With all due respect, I have heard from "several of your associates", about features
for making hbase work with the 0.20.2xx. That sounds to me that 0.20-security to be trunk.

> Can you clarify how that is going to work ?
>
> Basically, what are your criteria for "manageable risk and high value to production users"
?

> In particular, I would like to know why the insistence on 0.20.2xx being the default
branch to check-in these "innovations", instead of trunk.

> *   Milind
>
> ---
> Milind Bhandarkar
> Greenplum Labs, EMC
> (Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in this email are those of the author, and do not necessarily
represent the views of any organization, past or present, the author might be affiliated with.)