hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Community Process for 0.20.205 Sustaining Release
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2011 11:32:19 GMT
On 31/08/11 07:37, Eric Baldeschwieler wrote:
> Hi Milind,
>
> I'd expect to see continued sustaining on the 20 branch until 23 is stable.  Continued
bug fixing beyond that if there is need / enthusiasm for such fixes would also seem reasonable.
This has certainly been the expect behavior of other released software I've contributed to.

> If we want to see apache hadoop widely adopted, it is critical that folks not only volunteer
new features, but that someone continue to refine working releases.  I see nothing but upside
to this.  If others want to only volunteer new code for trunk or want to work on other releases,
that's ok by me.

> I don't believe this is a zero sum game.  Any investment I put into 0.20 doesn't block
you from putting work into 22 or 23.  We're aligned in the goal of getting 23 and future trunk
based releases out.  Asking someone not to do sustaining will not cause them to work faster
on other releases, it will just move work out of apache. I don't see how that benefits the
community.  If the sustaining work is badly done or does not add value, it can be voted down.

I think
  -all patches should go into trunk then backport to 0.23, 0.22, 0.20.x
if it is deemed important, the criteria for those being things to resolve.

My views

-0.20.x: critical security/stability issues, and critical stack
compatibility issues. Nothing much else.

-0.22 - this isn't discussed, but it's going to be the last pre-MR-279
MR engine. Shouldn't all patches to the mainstream MR engine go in here
first?

-0.23 - subject for discussion. Now that it's into stabilise and ship
it's bug fixes and not features.

Like milind, I worry about time to stabilise for 0.23, but am somewhat
more optimistic than 10+ months, because if there is takeup from some
large hadoop users, stability comes from that use