hadoop-general mailing list archives

From "Segel, Mike" <mse...@navteq.com>
Subject RE: Interesting: bigdata is a registered trademark
Date Fri, 05 Aug 2011 17:13:42 GMT
I should add. In terms of Hadoop, 'Big Data' is a term to describe the problem set and not
any specific product.
So in that context, I wouldn't worry too much, depending on how litigious  SYSTAP can get.
Of course, who are they going to sue?

-----Original Message-----
From: Segel, Mike [mailto:msegel@navteq.com]
Sent: Friday, August 05, 2011 12:00 PM
To: general@hadoop.apache.org; trademarks@apache.org
Subject: RE: Interesting: bigdata is a registered trademark

Don't be so Cavalier.
'Big Data' and 'BigData' are similar enough that if they were talking about the same thing,
you would still get sued and the odds are they would win.

You would have to talk to a lawyer, but it gets more in to a question of what or how you define
Big Data.

Is there going to be confusion of what is meant by 'BigData' and 'Big Data'. At the same time
one could probably challenge the trademark.

Its definitely interesting.